The Surrogacy Process – infertility and surrogacy
”We want to help involuntarily childless singles and couples with a safe surrogacy process based on our own experience of the process, our wish for children and the joy of being a family.”
Nordic Surrogacy – Leading Surrogacy Agency in the Nordics
Welcome to Nordic Surrogacy, the leading surrogacy agency in the Nordics. Since 2016 we have supported and guided Intended Parents to creating their families regardless ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation or relationship status. At Nordic Surrogacy, we are a diverse group of employees and the majority of us share the experience of becoming parents through surrogacy. We are all aware of and sensitive to the fact that every Intended Parent has a different journey. At the same time, we all share the common goal of you becoming parents and the joys of being a family.
Nordic Surrogacy offers surrogacy programs in the following destinations:
- Colombia – surrogacy for gay couples, single men and heterosexual couples
- Georgia – for heterosexual couples
- USA – for all Intended Parents
Alexandra and William were Nordic Surrogacy’s first intendent parents in Scandinavia.
How does the process work?
The surrogacy process is amazing, challenging and one of the greatest adventures of your life. You will feel the full range of emotions throughout the different steps of this complex process. We know, as we are parents through surrogacy. We have helped hundreds of Intended Parents through their journeys. With that said – even though everybody’s journey is different, we can relate to what you are going through. We will guide you throughout the whole journey.
The surrogacy process can at times be challenging. It is a complex medical process that involves many different parties and based on your unique circumstances. It is based on medical expertise, a high level of professionalism from the fertility clinic. It depends on the voluntary participation and availability of egg donors and the woman who will carry your baby, the gestational carriers.
Start your journey with an open mind, trust the process and be mindful that things change along the way. It’s completely normal! Therefore, it is crucial that we – Nordic Surrogacy, the Intended Parents, and the clinic – cooperate, handle the process as a team and have a good and engaged dialogue. We are open and transparent both in celebrating success and in handling disappointment and frustration. Our focus is on our shared goal – you having a baby!
Our surrogacy programs include a wide range of services. A large selection of egg donors, IVF with ICSI, carefully matched surrogates, legal support as well as personalized service and support.
Surrogacy step by step
At Nordic Surrogacy we work with at range of trusted international partners in different destinations, which creates options for you the Intended Parents in your surrogacy process, based on your needs.
How does the surrogacy process work and what is included in the different steps?
- Consult with our experienced team. We offer free consultations. Based on your individual circumstances we will guide you to the program that is best suited. Once you have decided on a program and destination the next step is to sign your agreement with Nordic Surrogacy and you will be assigned a client manager who will be your primary contact throughout your journey.
- Medical tests for Intended Parents and documentation for the process. The first step in the surrogacy process is to collect the needed documentation for your chosen destination. This will include medical examinations i.e quality of sperm and/or eggs gathering of documentation i.e. Criminal background check. This documentation will be shared with the clinic where your process will take place, for approval. And now you can plan for one of the big millstones in you surrogacy journey – the visit to the clinic!
- Choosing an egg donor or using your own eggs. Depending on you circumstance the next step is to choose an egg donor or, if you are using your own eggs, do an egg retrieval. If you use an egg donor the clinic will plan the when she is available, start the medical treatment and monitor her cycle closely.
- Creating embryos. At your clinic visit you will have deposited sperm and once there are eggs they will be fertilized and developed to the blastocyst stage (about 5-6 days) in the lab. At this stage the embryos will be frozen and/or PGT tested (Preimplantation genetic testing). The PGT screening is used to ensure that the embryo selected for transfer has the correct number of chromosomes, thereby reducing the chances for a failed IVF cycle and reducing the chance of miscarriage.
- Surrogate matching. This is a special step on the journey. The surrogate is the heroic woman who helps you fulfill your dream of a baby. The surrogates who are approved for the surrogacy program by the clinics or surrogate agencies, depending on your destination, all undergo rigorous screening. Both medical and psychological tests are done in preparation for the process. This is to ensure that the surrogate, you as the Intended Parents and the baby have a safe surrogacy process. You will be matched with a surrogate once you have PGT tested embryos. Depending on your chosen destination the matching process differs slightly, and we will take you through the steps once you have arrived at this milestone.
- Embryo transfer. After you and the surrogate are matched, she will start the medical preparations for the embryo transfer. This starts with running all the medical tests as was done during the screening process to ensure no new prerequisites exist, then to prepare for the embryo transfer. She visits the clinic regularly according to the medical protocol. Approximately 2 weeks after the embryo transfer a blood test will measure her HCG levels to see if a pregnancy was achieved. If the test is positive an ultrasound for a heartbeat confirmation will be scheduled. If the test is negative and there are embryos left the process bill be repeated, depending on your chosen program.
- Pregnancy until childbirth. Once the pregnancy is established the surrogate will start pregnancy care. After the heartbeat confirmation ultrasound the Intended Parents will get a pregnancy plan to give you an overview of the steps, check-ups and screenings. Throughout the pregnancy the Intended Parents will get regular updates and images from ultrasounds to follow the pregnancy as it progresses. Closer to birth, and depending on the destination, a birth plan will be shared. This will give Intended Parents a guide of what to expect during birth.
- Birth, preparation of birth certificate and return. Finally, the day you have been waiting for is here! Once the birth starts you will be contacted by your client manager and/or the coordinator at the destination. At the birth hospital you will get a birth certificate, which will support you throughout the process to make the passport application and getting back to your country of residence.
- Back home. Once you have traveled back to your home country the legal steps to finalize the legal family are taken. We always recommend that you have legal counsel throughout your process.
Please contact us by filling out the contact form to book a free of charge consultation and more detailed information about our programs and the process.